Great Barrier Island Accommodation: Top 5 Places to Stay on Great Barrier Island
Things to Do on Great Barrier Island
Great Barrier Island has heaps of unique and different types accommodation to choose from. While we obviously recommend staying at the DOC campgrounds, some prefer to just hire a car and stay elsewhere. Here at Stay High Island Camping Co., we have an option to hire a car with no gear included at a discounted price, allowing you to experience some of the best Great Barrier Island accommodation choices listed below.
*** DOC Campgrounds with Stay High Island Camping Co.: The true Great Barrier Island accommodation is of course staying in one of our roof top tents at the amazing coastal campgrounds here on the island. Nothing better than falling asleep to the stars and waking up to the birds... at the beach.
1. The Shearer's Quarters: Privately located amongst the pohutukawas and only footsteps from the beach with wrap around decking to enjoy the sun, The Shearers Quarters is quiet and tranquil and positioned in a fabulous location. For the adventurers, there are opportunities for exploration of the rugged rocky coastline at your doorstep with unlimited fishing, snorkelling, swimming, and beach combing. Otherwise, if your idea of relaxation is reading a book, the peace and tranquillity can’t be matched.
2. Fantail Stories: Nestled into beautiful subtropical native bush, the cabin is totally secluded, located down the southern end of the island. The trees teem with birds. Kaka, tui, morepork, fantails, wood pigeons and many more, live and feed in the pristine bush. Chris, also the owner of Aotea Roast, will be your host and ensure you have a great stay.
3. Fitzroy House: Come ‘off-grid’ to chill, get active and explore local trails, and tune into our native ecology or conservation work. Located in Port Fitzroy, Glenfern Sanctuary provides unique accommodation for guests with all the luxuries of two comfortable accommodations. Built in 1901 Fitzroy House is one of the oldest, most charming homesteads on the Island.
4. XSPOT: X marks this hidden and gorgeous spot. Even though XSPOT is in plain view, right on top of a cliff, it's also a hidden gem. In its isolated location, it offers solitude and space for relaxation. The architecturally designed apartment is modern and light and has 270 degree views over the Hauraki Gulf. It's a great place to unwind, but also a perfect base to explore Aotea Great Barrier Island.
5. Orama Oasis: Beautiful sunsets, a gorgeous private bay and fun. Come and stay in one of the attractive self-contained motel units or a beach cottage for two right on the shore. Alternatively, stay in the Lodge in the guest rooms and choose from either self-contained or shared facilities. They also have simple hillside cabins for walking groups and trampers. As well as accommodation for over 100 people, Orama has a large dining room and full commercial kitchen to cater for your special event. Either share meals in the Dining Room with our Orama team and other guests at mealtimes, or let them help you plan meals in your unit or cater completely for yourself. If you want to plan a group retreat or team building time, they have a lecture room and an attractive Lodge lounge. In the event of wet weather there is a large indoor sports area and break-out spaces. Orama also hosts the Hillary Outdoor Education Centre here at Karaka Bay. They offer a unique environment for a range of groups, from school groups to business or management training sessions. Their equipment includes a high ropes confidence course, coastal orienteering, kayaks, small sailing boats and surf gear. Orama offers a wide a range of accommodation at varying rates.