Great Barrier Island Locally Made Products: Top 5 Great Barrier Island Locally Made Products
Things To Do on Great Barrier Island
When travelling to Great Barrier Island, it is always important to buy local. With limited resources on the island, those that are able to make a living producing locally are an impressive bunch. Before dropping off your Great Barrier Island rental car from Stay High Island Camping Co., have a drive around and pick up some gifts for your family and friends, unique to the Barrier. Many of these products can be found at the shops, and some even sell direct. Click on the links below for more information. These are just a few of the many business here on Great Barrier Island that make great local products.
- Aotea Made: Maori Inspired skin care remedies inspired by indigenous thinkers. Therapeutic skincare, extracted, formulated, and bottled in the remote North of the island, created on site in a little shed tucked away in the bush. This is your one stop shop for soaps, body creams, kawakawa balms, Manuka oil, and even manuka honey. Check them out at www.aoteamade.co.nz
- Aotea Roast: Incredible coffee, produced on one of NZ’s only off-grid coffee roastery right here on Great Barrier Island. Aotea Roast is stocked at a variety of local shops and is served fresh at Pa Beach Café in Tryphena. For more info click www.aotearoast.co.nz
- Island Gin: International award-winning locally made Gin. What better way to enjoy a summer’s afternoon on the Barrier with a refreshing G & T. You can find Island Gin at www.islandgin.com
- Kaitoke Wilds: Made on Aotea from organic and sustainably foraged flora, Kaitoke Wilds incorporates ancient herbalist practices and philosophies with modern extraction techniques to produce a line of holistic botanical skin and hair care. Order from the website at www.kaitokewilds.nz
- Aotea Brewing: The beers at this micro brewery are tasty as, and they often experiment with unique local ingredients. Aotea Brewing is open for tasting and also hosts Sunday Sessions with amazing live music over the summer months. With a great location across from Medlands Beach, it's a great place to spend a few hours after a day at the beach. More info can be found at www.aoteabrewing.co.nz